f Filming Vancouver: EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Dakota Daulby of 'Falling Skies'

EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Dakota Daulby of 'Falling Skies'

Dakota Daulby will appear as Kent Matthews in
Season Four of Falling Skies on TNT
Dakota Daulby will appear as Kent Matthews in Season Four of Falling Skies from Executive Producer Steven Spielberg.

Dakota is a Canadian actor from Vancouver.  His big break was in  the award-winning short film "Why Does God Hate Me?"  Dakota has stared in the feature film  The Woodcarver with , and is staring in the upcoming films Black Fly and Sitting on the Edge of Marlene both most recently filmed in Vancouver.

In addition to acting, Dakota also works as a screenwriter.  His first project is a feature film and will be in production this fall.

Dakota took a break in his busy schedule to talk with Filming Vancouver (FV).

FV:  What made you want to get into acting?

Dakota:  The idea of being an artist in this profession is always something that has captivated me. I remember being a child and watching the movies and dreaming of how they were made. All the props, and sets, and the whole machine that had to work in order for us to see the final product on the screen. As I got older my interest in the business continued to develop until I got to a point where I had to decide; either I take the academic route or I take a chance and follow a childhood dream. It's scary, frightening, exciting and crazy all in one, but I love it and wouldn't change my choice for anything in the world.

FV:  Who are your role models?  Do you have any favorite actors?

Dakota:  I find actors like Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger fascinating to watch but they're not necessarily role models. Every actor in the world has gone through different events in their lives and has had different opportunities that have made them successful. There will never be another "Top Gun" or "The Color of Money" so I can never have the same career as Tom Cruise, but that's not to say I don't admire his work, or the work of others. I just tend to focus more on myself and the opportunities that are presented so I make sure I can make the most of them.


Dakota Daulby as Kent Matthews in Season Four of Falling Skies
FV:  Were you a fan of Falling Skies before accepting this role in the show?

Dakota:  For sure I was. "Falling Skies" is a fun, intense and plainly awesome show. It's a dream come true to be on it and to be able to work with such incredible talent.

FV:  How did you get into screenwriting, and do you see this as a career in your future?

Dakota:  I think it's important for actors and other artists to create work for themselves, and have as many fingers in the pot as possible. You can't wait for others. If I can control my career as much as possible then I want to be able to do that. For those who want to write all I can say is just write. I didn't take schooling for that particular aspect of my career. It's important to understand structure, but aside from that aspect of it, just write and your style will develop over time.

FV:  As someone from Vancouver, why do you think this is such a poplar destination for the film industry? 

Dakota:  I think it's a stunning place to film and we're packed full of talent. Vancouver has some of the hardest working and most talented actors and crews in the world.

FV:  Do you have advice for young actors trying to break into the business?

Dakota:  The advice I can give to those who want to break into the business is to be flexible. What I mean by that – and this advice applies more for when an actor books a role – is to be able to change on a dime. Being on set is crazy, nothing at the end of the day is ever how you auditioned it and most definitely never how it was written. Things change constantly, it's just important to stay calm and role with the punches.

FALLING SKIES, season 4, debuts on Superchannel in Canada, June 26.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...